Bayes Syndrome – Cardiology MCQ – Answer
Bayes Syndrome – Correct Answer:
- Third degree interatrial block with paroxysmal supraventricular arrhythmias
Various degrees of interatrial blocks are identified as follows:
- First degree interatrial block: P wave duration more than 120 ms
- Third degree interatrial block: Longer P wave duration with biphasic P waves in inferior leads
- Second degree interatrial block: These abnormalities are seen transiently in same ECG (atrial aberrancy)
It may be noted that these abnormalities may occur with or without associated atrial enlargement detectable by imaging modalities.
Back to question
- Bayés de Luna A, Platonov P, Cosio FG, Cygankiewicz I, Pastore C, Baranowski R, Bayés-Genis A, Guindo J, Viñolas X, Garcia-Niebla J, Barbosa R, Stern S, Spodick D. Interatrial blocks. A separate entity from left atrial enlargement: a consensus report. J Electrocardiol. 2012 Sep;45(5):445-51.
- Adrian Baranchuk, Pelayo Torner, Antoni Bayés de Luna. Bayés Syndrome – What Is It? Circulation. 2018;137:200-202.